Changing table – update

So, a photo from around the end of the last stage. I’ve cut round the taps – this proved to be awkward to cover later, but I’m not sure anything else would have been better. I might revisit this – creating another panel that worked with the rest would be possible.

Now some progress. I purchased some 2 inch foam sheet (panels?) from Dunelm as well as some PVC coated fabric for a  wipe clean covering. I just guessed on 2 inch being enough, I really didn’t want to go up and use 3 inch and it seems comfortable enough.

With the foam cut to size, on to the covering to made it wipe clean. A traditional approach here – pinned in place with brass tacks. Now, getting actual solid brass tacks wasn’t easy (I ended getting them via Etsy Studio) but I really don’t want anything that will rust – so the cheap steel ones are ruled out. Corners are folded in, making sure the extra layers sit on the ‘end’ of the boards – rather than adding to the width, where the distances are more critical in fitting all three boards in the set space.

The last board gave some trouble in this regard – eventually I ended up with the main section wrapped around the edges are all but one side of the cut out for the taps. The final side of that was covered with an additional piece which runs over the first layer and down the end of the cut out to cover the last section of foam.  Possibly not the best but closest I could figure out – and didn’t require any sewing.

Still to add are some blocks underneath to prevent the boards sliding, and a victim volunteer who tested it suggested some securing points would be a good idea. I had been thinking of one or two, but possibly that’s going to be increased, making this a rather kinky changing table. Possibly even something above to allow legs to be lift easily (and held if desired!).

More updates to come, although it has already seem some (careful) use as is.

Project 2: Change table

For a while I’ve been thinking about how I’d fit a change table in. I live in a small flat, so there’s not really space to fit a dedicated, permeant 6 foot table in. I’ve toyed with the idea of folding ones in various designs, but actually there’s not a huge amount of space to put them up in and actually use them.

Recently I hit upon a plan to reuse a mostly neglected space – it isn’t a full 6 foot but it works – the bath tub! Hang on, how can this work you ask? Remarkably simply! The height of my bath is sufficient that the top edge is about the height for the top of the changing table. Simply place boards over and we have a solid base.

So, I measured up the length and width of the bath – ignoring the taps, I’ll fiddle that later. Got a sheet of 18mm exterior rated plywood (it is know to occasionally be wet in bathrooms!) and had it cut down to my measurements – much easier to handle that way, unless you’re blessed with equipment and space to handle the full 8×4 sheet. 18mm ply is thick enough that it only flexes by a few millimetres when I stand in the middle of each board when it’s over the bath, with no other support or reinforcement needed – plenty it won’t give way even with heavy littles on it.

Back at home I then further cut the panel into 3 sections, to make it easier to move and store – 55cm wide for each of mine, it’ll depend on the size your bath is. For the final board I then marked out the area the taps took up and cut that out with a jigsaw, so it fits either side. Then sealed the wood as I don’t want it absorbing water – polyurethane yacht varnish/enamel is ideal, give it at least a couple of coats all over.

Finally back for a trial fitting, just to make sure everything lines up, and a quick lie down on it for a small test. Next steps: including some form of padding on the top for littles comfort, a wipe clean covering. I think also I need a system for stopping the panels just sliding off the edge of the bath as they aren’t then properly supported – possibly as simple for me as a strip of wood on the bottom in the right place. Fortunately both ends of my bath end with a wall so no worries about the panels slipping off the end.